Love Your Hair Extensions
Tame your hair extensions, learn the best tips and tricks to keep hair extensions from tangling:
Hair extensions, good quality remy human hair extensions, can be life changing. However, they are not like our own hair and they must be maintained. With hair extensions you have to do a little work if you would like them last. Sometimes if you are new to hair extensions you may not be aware of the maintenance that is required for hair extensions. You certainly cannot leave them unattained or you will encounter problems such as tangling and matting. Even with the purest and most expensive hair on the market, you still have to go above and beyond to care for hair extensions. They simply don’t maintain themselves and if you do not use a care routine, they can tangle, mat, shed and dry becoming a mess quickly. The reason why this happens is because once the hair is sourced, cut and made into hair extensions, the hair no longer has the natural scalp oils which keep hair healthy and shiny. Our own hair is still attached to our head has natural oils which nourish our hair, which is why we never experience matting or tangling as you sometimes see with hair extensions. However, since the hair extensions are no longer attached to the scalp, good care is needed to keep them in tact.
Why do hair extensions tangle and mat from time to time? Weather, your hair care routine, product buildup are some reasons why someone would experience tangling and matting. Even with the highest quality hair extensions, if you have any of the above going on, you may experience tangling and matting. The great news is, if you have found your hair extensions to be a big dry mess, you can fix this an in instant and have your extensions brand new. Follow these tips to keep your hair extensions from tangling and matting. Note, for those who wear clip extensions, you will still need to keep your clip in hair extensions maintained too. However, for those who are wearing semi-permanent hair extensions such as tape in hair extensions, your hair care routine is key to prevent shedding and matting. Because you wear tape extensions for 2-3 months at a time, ultimate care is needed. If you don’t care for them, tangling will happen. If you have bought high quality hair extensions, it’s not the product that is deffective. Learning how to prevent hair extensions from tangling will allow your hair extensions to last.
5 Reasons Why Hair Extensions Tangle:
1. Weather-humidity and rain. Yes that’s right-weather can change the texture of hair. “Humid air causes hydrogen bonds to form between water molecules and the proteins in your hair, triggering curls and frizz.” Curls and frizz that remain will cause tangling and matting.
2. Product Buildup-leftover product, especially those products containing alcohol, cause hair extensions to dry. Dry hair extensions=matting. It is important to use sulfate free, paraben free products. Also, alcohol based products are not the best choice for hair extensions because alcohol based products dries the hair. Over time this will cause tangling.
3. Using The Wrong Products-Hair extensions need the perfect products. The hair products from Target won’t always do it. Having a great hair mask or a special brush will prevent tangling.
4. Hair Care Routine-Hair extensions require a little love and care, so you should set aside 10 minutes a day to take care of the hair to ensure they last. Your hair care routine is most important, especially those who are wearing semi-permanent hair extensions. Without it, you will have a tangled mess sooner than later.
5. Dry Extensions-Guilty of blow drying and curling your hair extensions frequently? Don’t use thermal spray? Using alcohol based products? All of this will lead to really dry hair extensions. Dry hair will definitely cause matting and tangling. You can prevent hair from getting dry by using a weekly mask and oils.
5 Ways To Prevent Hair Extensions From Tangling:
1. Use the ultimate hair extension brush-The Ionic Boar Brush. Like we noted above, hair extensions no longer contain the natural oils that your scalp has so they will get dry and tangle without any care. Luckily, this special brush distributes oils from your scalp to the hair extensions when brushed, which nourish your hair extensions resulting in softer hair. Because this is an ionic brush, negative ions are released when brushing, which result in hair that is moisturized and shiny. This special brush detangles your hair and prevents your hair from shedding in the process. Tough paddle brushes without any boar can pull your hair and cause shedding. To keep tangles away and prevent shedding use the Ionic Boar Brush to keep your hair healthy and shiny. Always brush your hair extensions 2-3 times a day. Always use a hair extension detangling brush to keep any tangles from forming. Brushing your hair 2-3 times a day will make sure you are keeping on top of your hair extensions. Brushing your hair with this brush 2-3 times a day will not only keep your hair extensions from tangling but will also keep your hair from matting too. Remember, never brush hair extensions while wet and always hold the hair extensions while brushing.
2. Create New Nighttime Routine-If you are wearing semi permanent hair extensions and you really want your hair extensions to last. Take 5 minutes at night to brush hair and put into a braid or a loose ponytail. If you wash your hair at night, allow the hair extensions to air dry. Never sleep with wet hair extensions. If you really want your hair to last, a braid is the best way to keep it healthy. Want to take is a step further? Find a silk bonnet and sleep with that on, it will keep your hair extensions soft much longer.
3. Use Fabulous Hair Care Products With a Consistent Routine-Honestly, good quality hair products formulated especially for hair extensions are what you want. Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner are a must, all others are really drying. Use a hair mask weekly, this will allow your hair to become nourished and soft again. Be sure to use the hair mask on the mid shaft and ends only. This is really important for those who wear tape extensions. The best hair care routine will keep your hair extensions intact for a long time. Without the right products and routine, you could find your self in a tangling situation. Prevent tangling and extend the life of your hair extensions with good products and a weekly care routine.
4. Reduce Heat and Chemical Exposure-Chemical overexposure isn’t good for you nor your hair extensions. Yes, you can color your hair extensions and process them, but like any other chemical process, this may dry out the hair extensions. Using a lot of hair spray? This alcohol is drying. Choosing not to color your hair extensions and using less alcohol based products will make a difference. If you use a lot of products see if you can find natural alternatives and plant based products that will still give you the same results. Also, if you use high heat (blow drier, curling irons, flat irons) you must use a thermal protectant. This thermal spray will protect your hair extensions.
5. Maintain, Maintain, Maintain-If you want to be gorgeous, you are going to have to maintain those hair extensions. It is important to take care of your hair extensions. You cannot wash and go. Brushing, using great products, and taking time everyday to care for your extensions will make all the difference. Set aside 10 minutes a day to maintain your hair extensions. When you take care of your hair extensions you will notice a difference and they will last longer.
We hope these hair care tips helped. If you have any other great tips please share them below. Remember, hair extensions do not contain the natural oils our own hair has, so extra care is needed. Also, always remember to be realistic about hair extensions. Most remy hair extensions last 6-12 months depending upon care. Virgin Remy Hair extensions will last over a year, but will cost more. Having hair extensions will make you look and feel better. To make sure your hair extensions last, put a little love and care into it and they will last. Remember, a little tangling and matting can be fixed and it can also be prevented.
Tangle Free Hair Extensions